PLEASE NOTE: **The fabrication staff that worked on this project is not around any longer, so we can't answer any specific questions, other than the info found on this page.**
Thought you guys might like to check out some video of a very cool KJ Liberty SFA ( solid front axle ) project that we built for a customer several years ago.
The original plan was to develop a bracket system that allows KJ owners to more easily do a Solid-Front Axle (SFA) swap, and convert to 12" long coil-overs to add TONS of flex to the front end.
On this one, we installed the front and rear upgraded and OX-locked Dana 44 axles that we installed under our black shop ZJ, then removed before we parted it out and unceremoniously discarded it's carcass after years of offroad abuse.
The rear axle was a cast iron version of the Dana 44, out of an '87 XJ Cherokee with the tow package, and upgraded to 33 spline Alloy USA shafts, carries an OX Locker, and had 4.56 gears.
The front axle is an import from Venezuela, which was a *brand new* High Pinion Dana 44 housing purchased from a Venezuelan Jeep dealership, and imported to the US for us. It received a 30-spline Alloy USA inner and upgraded outer kit, dust seals, and slotted rotors when it was installed under the ZJ.
UPDATE: Due to lower than expected demand, and the price of the components, we killed off the "SFA Install Package" portion of this build after the prototype was built. The fabrication staff that worked on the project is not around any longer, so we can't answer any specific questions, but here's the line items from our customer's invoice, in case it's helpful to you in your own build:
- Clayton 36" long lower front arms,
- U-Turn Crossover Steering,
- Custom fab and bent track bar
- 12" Fox Coil-overs
- Ballistic Fabrication HD Flat Bottom shock tabs for coilover mounts
- Steering gear box from Bronco II
- Pitman arm unknown, but MAY have been from an XJ
- Custom power steering hoses from HosePower
- Made to spec Borgeson p/n 013452 1" DD to 3/4" - 36-spline u-joint for steering linkage to Bronco II box
- XJ/ZJ/TJ 28" front SS brake lines
- Clayton WJ rear upgrade kit, which included the triangulated setup using their rear frame brackets from a WJ
- OME 863 rear coils from an 80-series LandCruiser
- Bilstein BE5-6248-H5 rear shocks (10" travel)
- XJ rear stainless steel braided 18" brake line
- Addco ZJ rear anti-sway bar with custom endlinks
- Tom Wood front and rear driveshafts,
- Custom length Omix ADA Slip Yoke Eliminator
- Older-style 231 case, early XJ
Hope this helps. We really WISH we could help you with specific answers to your questions, but we got rid of everything, including specific details, measurements, and so on, and the fabricator who assisted us, has moved on.
Here's some videos that show all the work:
It was a fun build, and a lot of fun to drive after it was complete. If you take it on, figure 60+ hours worth of work for a practiced fabricator and installer, including the SYE, the custom fab of parts, welding, paint, trimming the fenders, custom fab of the steering box bracket, post-install tire fitment issues, etc.
And, send us photos of your completed build, once you get it done!