How long have you looked for a great looking set of bumpers for your Grand? Want to set it off so that it stops looking like every other ZJ on your block? Try out these bumpers for size. Extreme Duty…rock-bashable…high-clearance…and allowing you to mount up a winch, these bumpers are exactly what you need to protect the front and rear of your ZJ from a disaster with a rock or tree.
These were CAD designed for us, are bent out of THICK 3/16″ plate steel (50% thicker than the current market leaders’ bumpers are!!) and are mounted with a VERY sturdy mounting system that ties the bumper in with the weak uni-frame rails in sandwich-fashion, making the sturdiest mounting system available on ANY aftermarket bumper I’ve ever seen. They weigh less than 100lbs, and can hold up to a 15k rated winch.
Holes are drilled in the frame mounts, so that you can bolt tow-hooks on if you wish.
**Please Note, due to unusually heavy volume, currently ALL Protofab bumpers are running between 8-12 weeks out between the time you order, and when it is able to ship, AND, Mike is planning on increasing the cost by $100+ to decrease demand a bit…so if you’re interested in one of these…order it before the price goes up. Mike’s guys are working as fast they can on filling the orders. What this means is that the sooner you get your order in, the closer to the front of the line you’ll be in by the time you need it. If you wait until the last minute to order, you’re going to be pissed at yourself and at me…let’s not have any of that. Anyway, we’re looking at ways to refine the manufacturing process, but if you need a bumper in less than 2 weeks, ARB is the only bumper I can think of that would be on the shelf, and also not NEARLY as strong or durable.
Also of Note: All Protofab bumpers are shipped BARE STEEL (No paint or powder coating).All bumpers come non-painted, due to past damage to the finish during the motor freight process.
Shipping is available via Truck Freight only…starting from $125, depending on how close you are to Phoenix, AZ. There is a $70 residential surcharge if you have us ship it to a house rather than a zoned-business address. Freight will be collected from you in a separate transaction, after we get a quote from our shipper.
Click on the images below for a larger photo.
A note from Kevin about front and rear bumpers and rear tire carrier design…
When deciding on a bumper for your Jeep make sure that you take into account some of the unforeseen issues.
1) Does the tire carrier hold the tire in a way to reduce blind spots and maximize visibility out the rear? Our carrier mounts on the driver’s side, in your natural blind-spot, so that you can see both over your right shoulder AND still see out the rear view mirror, which is mostly impossible with nearly all other carriers on the market who put the carrier in the middle or to the right of the rear window.
2) How is the tire carrier mounted? Can it withstand a washboard road with the weight of a 35″ tire on a steel wheel mounted on it? Our tire carrier uses a patented cam-latch, which utilizes an easy-to-open lever which puts constant tension on the latch and hasp assembly which completely eliminates rattles from your carrier. And, you can actually lift the entire rear end of the Jeep off the ground with a forklift from OUR tire carrier…how’s that for strong?
3) What sort of hinge is included? Ours uses twin 3/4″ Heim joints, which not only has over 12,000 lbs. of radial load capability EACH (there are two…that’s 24,000 lbs. total), but are also easily replaceable if they wear over time, and you are also able to fine-tune the height of the carrier up and down by threading the heim joint in and out. Also, you can completely remove the carrier from the bumper very easily if you wanted to.
4) Our bumpers are built with 1/4″ ultra-thick steel plate in the center sections (between the frame mounts for added rigidity), which is more than 50% thicker than the more well-known brands of bumper. Have you ever seen a (well-known brand) front winch bumper bend in the center from a heavy winch pull? I have, and that’s why we use 1/4″ with fortified 3/8″ thick frame rail mounts. This bumper ain’t going ANYWHERE once you mount it up, winch or no.
5) Our bumpers allow for the best approach angle and departure angle currently available in ANY aftermarket Grand Cherokee bumper manufacturer, ’cause that’s how we roll, playa.
6) Our winch is inserted inside the front bumper, all the way down, so as to not give you overheating problems like some of the other aftermarket bumpers have been known to cause.
A NOTE ON BUMPER SHIPPING: With the exception of the XJ rear w/o tire carrier, ALL OUR BUMPERS are considered “oversized” by UPS and FedEx due to their physical size, which means that they instead ship by Motor Freight on a truck. All bumpers come non-painted , due to past damage to the finish during the motor freight process.
INTERNATIONAL FREIGHT SHIPMENTS: Please e-mail us for special instructions for International customers!! The following DOES NOT APPLY to International Shipments, only Domestic.
DOMESTIC MOTOR FREIGHT SHIPMENTS: I have selected “280 lbs” as the weight for all bumpers that need to go via Motor Freight (even though they only weigh 85-135lbs, depending on the model), so I could use our shipping module to charge you a close-to-accurate freight estimate to your Domestic (USA) commercial business address with a loading dock or forklift. (if you need it shipped to a residential address, we’re happy to do so, but there is a $75 add’l charge, AND we have to go through a whole “thing” with quotes and payments and such, so please give us a commercial address to save all that!!).
If our cost on the freight is a higher than the estimated shipping that you pay when you complete your order, I’ll eat the difference if it’s less than $25. However, be prepared that I may hit you up for some add’l funds after you place your order if it’s more than $25. This extra amount is not normally more than a few bucks or so, but it depends on your location. You always have the ability to cancel your order if you don’t like the Motor Freight cost, too, so there is very little risk by ordering online and not having the freight charges be accurate.